Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Roadside...

There was a Time when I used to pass by Station (Mumbai Local Railways) daily en-route my office. The railway track is the great divide in Mumbai between the 2 sides of city - East & West. More like a flea market, I would encounter same faces, same vendors, same chaos and same everything spread across the tracks & few in dangerous proximity to the tracks.

Among all the hustle bustle of busy life, what always got my attention were vendors of all types - fruits, vegetables, beauty products, old books, pesticides et-al. Then there were roadside saloons (we fondly call them Italian for reasons known to people), Speciality product vendors, dentists (yes that's right), ojha's (those who claim to have miraculous powers to heal) & Hakeems' (those jadi-booty doctors).

Among these were a family of 5 (Father, Mother & 3 Kids) always selling the seasonal fruits with same zest. Looking at them always gave me reasons to live & with all the enthusiasm in whatever condition - Good, Bad or Worse (for them atleast).

I will think - Life always throws 2 choices - be happy or be sad. So, if I were to be in their shoes, it is on me whether to be happy & make the most of my situation (as this family) or crib and make life living hell. I always wondered what life meant to them and always got answer in their smile, so genuine. Its meaningful if we love to live and vice versa. I would make sure that I am doing my bit by buying stuff they sold. Loved the genuine-never-complaining smile on their face.
One day, on my way to office, I see unexplained chaos & deafening silence (for some) at once. From a distance all I can see an engine at halt in the middle of the crossing and crowd gathered around it. Closure look & curious enquiries reveal that one little girl has come under the cowcatcher (a cage-like attachment in front of the engine) of the engine. My mind wandered for a moment – delving into what may be the worst nightmare. After much of labour, people the body was pulled out, without much of visible injuries. I prayed.

Someone shouted for Ambulance, perhaps there was a ray of hope. I tried to take account of the situation and figure out if this is one of the familiar faces. Shell shocked – It was indeed the body of that little girl from the family. By the time ambulance arrived, the soul had departed for the heavenly abode, leaving the meaningless body behind. Police intervention, panchnama, statement recording, eye witnesses etc.

After gaining sense, I headed for office, praying for the departed soul & for the grieved family. All the while at office I kept thinking of the girl & the family that she left behind. It was 6.15 p.m., time for me to leave for home. I dared pass by the same flea market, but there was no other way home. Gathering courage, I reached the spot where the family use to put their stall.

I try not to look in that direction for it will still be heavy on my heart, I hear a familiar voice “5 ka 2...5 ka 2”. It was voice of the mother. I turn around to see and yes it was she. Hesitantly, I approach her and asked the unwelcomed question “how is your daughter?”

“She passed away this morning” She said.

“Are you not grieving?”

“Saab, life has to go on & we earn to eat every day. If we don’t earn for a day, we will go empty stomach” said she handing over the fruits I had just selected with the same smile that I saw always.

I was heart-broken. I took the fruits from her and left. Thinking of the hardship they go through every single day but face it with never-say-die attitude.

I am a better person today and these roadside people have taught me a lesson of life.

May they get a better life and may the soul rest in peace.

SMILE at the challenges & Life will smile at you.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment